Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Time to move on?

When do you move on? When do you cut some kids loose?

I have tried every technique I have. Yet, I still have kids that won't do the work. And I am sick and tired of it. Sorry, I'm done holding your hand.

I truly believe that you build a program one kid at a time. I had in my three schools probably 10 kids who really committed last year out of 80. That was my first year.

I have at least double or triple that now with over 140 kids. Our fifth grade band level is playing up a full grade level from last year. Choir and Chorale are singing great. I feel real good about that. The core group is developing.

But lord, if I have to hear one more time that "why dont we play the music we played two years ago" I might blow a gasket. We are improving fast. My standard is simple-- do your best. Get on the bus!

1 comment:

  1. The ones who want to go with you will. The ones who don't will eventually leave. The real question is, will the community you teach in support your efforts?

    ReplyDelete