Friday, January 21, 2011

Who is in your Top Ten?

Recently the nytimes did a series choosing the top 10 composers.

Who are the ”essential” composers/musicians that we should cover? When a student graduates from our schools they should be able to recognize major works by the artist, have a conversation about them, and have some sort of historical reference. More than ”Beethoven was deaf”.

Who do we think MUST be included? Lets recognize that their might be regional differences. Only pick ten.

Mine:
JS Bach
Mozart
Beethoven
Debussy
Stravinsky
Ellington
Louis Armstrong
Leonard Bernstein
The Beatles
Woody Guthrie

2 comments:

  1. First of all, you'd be surprised how many people DON'T know that Beethoven was deaf. That became very apparent to me when we first screened Beethoven in Vienna in front of an audience.

    Beyond that, though -
    Beethoven, of course.
    Bach
    Handel
    Mozart
    Stravinsky
    Shostakovich
    Tchaikovsky
    Ives
    Copland
    Lennon/McCartney (okay, Ringo and George too)

    That being done, let me also say that those are not in any particular order and some of them I don't really even care for all that much (Handel and Copland). I am not intentionally snubbing non-Western music, however, I feel that students should know what music from the past has influenced and continues to influence music in THEIR own culture. If I taught in China, I'd include Asian composers in this list. I don't teach in China.

    My 10 cents.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a good list! I think Armstrong and Ellington over Copland and Ives. I also include Bernstein as my Broadway representative. But those are my preferences.

    ReplyDelete