Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Integrating Technology into a School Concert

Here is how technology will be integrated into the Seymour High School concert on December 15.

1. I put all songs we are performing on our website.  I used noteflight to put some parts in for practice.
2. We use smartmusic as a play-along in band rehearsal (I have an 8 member band) which helps A LOT.  We also use it as an assessment tool.
3. We record music using soundcloud and post it on iTunes.
4. We have been doing long-distance teaching with Dean Shareski, the educational speaker, who will record a greeting for the audience that we will play during the concert.
5. Students will perform I'm Yours using the iPad app Six Strings.
6. Students will compose and perform compositions using Garageband, MadPad, and VoiceJam.
7. We will evaluate our performance using Google Docs.

I think in each concert we hit all 9 national standards.  Every band member will sing in our finale.  We sing in three languages.  We sing the oldest thing I know.

I also think we hit most of the 21st Century Skills.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent, Brandt!

    I love all that you have listed and are doing with your HS students. One question I had was: when do you upload, update files, comment, and post things for kids to hear? My problem isn't using the tech in the classroom, but rather, about what I need to do with it afterwards. I have very little time after rehearsals and classes to post and comment.

    I'd love to hear how your performance goes. Are your students taking a part in the concert or are you running the entire concert?

    Have a great performance night. I know you and your students worked very hard on it. Our is on Tuesday the 13th (I have MS students) in choir. Some are running sound, lights, and tech. I'm glad that one performance night is not what we assess kids on. I love watching them develop - I'm sure that's what gets you going, too.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to do most of the posting during rehearsal to make it seamless. It was nice the other day when we were playing Beethovens Ninth in band and a student said "Can you play back the recording from September so we see how we have gotten better?"

    I'm trying hard to encourage kids to get more involved. Not there yet. Having a few more "go-to guys" would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete